Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Afghan Appreciation

I'm working on afghans this month and rewatching Joss Whedon's Angel while I do so. It's not because they both start with "A" that's just a weird coincidence. Anyways, I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to show off five afghans I really like, but haven't had the time, money, or endurance to make yet. All of these are easily available, and some are even free, just in case they grab your interest too.

First up, in the top left we have the Midnight Brites Blanket. Available as a kit from Mary Maxim. It's hard to see from the picture, but I think this is a series of small granny squares sewn together. I don't mind making the squares, but I dread stitching them all together afterwards which is what's kept me away from this one so far.



Rainbow Stripey Baby Blanket (free pattern). This was made by Craftster user PencilNeck and if you follow the discussion that goes on after her initial post there's enough information here that an intermediate to advanced crocheter could figure out how to make one for themselves. I just love the look of this blanket and I think it would be a great way to use up scrap yarn. Plus, it doesn't have to be a baby blanket. Ripples are very easy to extend both length and width-wise.


Galaxy Afghan (free pattern). I actually tried to make the hexagon motif for this once, but I got really mixed up in the instructions and couldn't figure out what to do next. I'm hopeful that if I ever try it again the instructions will seem clearer, or I'll put a little more effort into trying to figure out what I should be doing. (Or I'll just find a hexagon motif that I do understand and use the colour scheme from this blanket.)


Rainbow Waves Afghan (free pattern). I just love anything that uses colour blending and despite how complex the blanket looks, the instructions don't seem that complicated.



Hello Kitty Pirate Baby Blanket. This one just makes me laugh. It's so cute and such a change from your traditional pastel baby blankets. Made by Craftster user NerdyCrochetGal there's no official pattern just a link in her post to where she found the Hello Kitty grids. The cross-bones you'll have to make up yourself based on the picture or find a grid for elsewhere.

No comments: